Sunday, May 22, 2011

BEA and New York: Day 1

Things I have learned about New York City (from a small town girl who has never been to a large city before).

You know how in the movies they make New York City this giant, bustling, loud, noisy, crowded, chaotic mess of people, cars, and constant motion? You know how the taxis are always honking, people are always yelling, there are food vendors every ten feet, and you can see anything from a mime on the street corner to someone holding a sign that says "Free Hugs."

They aren't exaggerating.

I'm at a hotel on Times Square, looking down on the street 25 stories below. Its 10pm and the streets are STILL insanely crowded. I can still hear the honking and the sirens echoing through the window. Truly, this is the city that never sleeps.

Tomorrow I get to meet my awesome editor for the first time, tour the Harlequin office, and meet several awesome authors at the SLJ Day of Dialog. I'm so excited! *Bounces* So, how many of you are here in NYC right now? What are you up to? I feel like I'm the only starry-eyed newbie staring slack-jawed at Times Square. Tell me what you've got planned for this week. Hope I see you at BEA sometime! :)

7 comments:

  1. Sorry Julie, but if you think you'll fall asleep when it gets quieter, you'll be awake all night.
    Rah! It's so frustrating, being less than an hour away from you and unable to go fangirl. I'm here in NY, but I won't be able to go to BEA :(
    I'm incredibly depressed about this entire week, actually. There's all this great stuff, but I'm going to a grand total of one event.
    *sighs*
    Enjoy your stay here, Julie! And if you're ever in the mood of talking to someone who'll fangirl all over the place, I'm here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous! I've never been to New York, and quite frankly, am a little intimidated by it. I've been to Vegas, but it's not the same.
    Enjoy it! I wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WISH I could go to BEA! I've actually never been to New York; maybe I can make it next year! Here's hoping. Have fun, enjoy the craziness that is NYC, and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We saw someone reading the Iron Daughter on the subway! Yay for spotting books in the wild :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear old NYC, I went there on a graduation trip just recently and personally, it's not my favorite city what with all the flying rats-AKA pigeons-not to mention the lack of nature, and the feeling of being trapped in a bubble or filming studio when you look up at the night sky and see deep, dark blackness. Then you come back down to earth and it's lights, noises and no peace...the city that never sleeps.
    What do you think about it? Besides those things, take a trip to the new Disney store for me, will you? The toy store besides Central Park is crazy and don't miss out on the M&M store if you love colorful chocolate! I wish I could visit you at BEA but I have to be content with listening to you tell the story of the event. Love ya Julie.
    -ww-

    ReplyDelete